13 October, 2006

Perfetti...oops, Confetti !!!

I am planning to write on my experiences at Confetti. I will make it episodic, and will be completely truthful (well, almost). And yes, the obvious disclaimers apply. So here goes.

The Adilabad Adventure - 1

It was around 4 in the evening. I was in Pai Layout, Banglore. It had rained the previous few days, and the roads were badly damaged. Pai Layout was even worse; as it had no proper roads, only mud ones. I was explaining to a panwallah, why he must buy Coughomint, a mint candy with herbasol. (That was my job…but more about it detail, later). I tried one ingenious argument after another after another, but the panwallah was unimpressed. He kept saying the margin was lower compared to Montyfresh, a mint candy from one of our competitors. The salesman accompanying me was also trying. He was speaking in Kannada.

As we were engaged in this struggle, I get a call. It is from my boss, Madhusudan. He had asked me to call him at around 3 in the evening. “Good Evening, Boss”. “Good Evening. Where are you, Deepak? What are you doing?” "I am in the market Boss. I am sorry, I forgot to call you". "Never Mind. Can you make it to the Airport by 4.30? Your flight for Hyderabad is at 5PM". I checked with the salesman and replied, "Yes Boss. I think I can make it". "OK. Go to Hyderabad and then call Ram." Ram was my second boss.

I take an auto and rushed to the guesthouse. I had planned to take my luggage and then go to the office to collect my ticket. But when I reached the guesthouse, it was locked. I call up the office. They send a guy from office with the keys. I quickly pack my stuff, and take an auto to the airport. The office is on the way to the airport. So, the office boy, stands on the road outside the office, and hands me the ticket in the auto. I somehow manage to reach the airport, and board the plane as the last passenger!!!

The plane lands at Hyderabad airport after an hour. I alight, and call Ram. "Hello Boss. Deepak here. I have just reached Hyderabad. Madhusudan boss had asked me to contact you after reaching here". " Yes. You will be working in the rural markets for sometime now. You will start with Reddy (a DSO - Distribution and Sales Officer) first. So, go to the guesthouse, have dinner and leave tonight for Adilabad. It is an overnight journey from Hyderabad. You will get buses from Imli Ban Bus stand". "OK, boss. But I do not know the address of the guest house here".

After that, he explained the route to the guesthouse, and asked me to hurry. I called up Reddy, my contact in Adilabad. I had no clue where Adilabad was, let alone know how to reach there. Reddy just told me to go board a bus from Imli Ban. I asked him about my stay arrangements, and he replied that there was only one decent hotel, named Raviteja near the bus stand, and that I could try there.

I collected my luggage and caught an auto to our guesthouse. Once I reached, I found Praveen there. He was the housekeeper – a cool guy from North East. He made a great dinner (Great, as I felt then. Later I came to realize that he could make only that dinner – I repeat, only that dinner, no variety. But yes, to his credit, he did make it very well). After the dinner, I took my bags, and set out again – this time to locate Imli Ban. I managed to reach Imli Ban, find a bus bound for Adilabad, and bought a ticket. As I was sitting down, the Television (It was a ‘Hi-Tech’ bus, Andhra slang for buses with TV, push back seats, etc) started blaring old Hindi songs - mostly Kumar Sonu songs. After a few minutes, I became immune to the noise, and started contemplating on what I had got myself into.

No comments: