01 December, 2006

Eloor Lending Library

As happens with most of my 'ventures', my attempt to document my experiences at Perfetti has officially been discontinued. One long post was enough to discourage me. Now, i don't know, what i would write in my blog. Lets see.

There is a library near near my place - Eloor Lending Library - decent sort of place, have not explored much., though i have become a member. The initial deposit was 800, refundable if you cancel your membership after 6 months, which is OK. But, the lending cost of 10% of the book price seemed slightly steep. You get to keep the books for 2 weeks. The collection is sort of OK, though there is an overdose of fiction.

There is a good science section, good in terms of quality, though the numbers are limited. The classics section is also good, and pretty cheap - books of Dickens, etc cost are priced at just 50.

The first book i borrowed was a Calvin & Hobbes collection by Bill Watterson - nothing much to say about that..pure joy. Next, i got Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte - said to be her best. I remember in my school days, i had Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte as a part of my course - that was one great novel, really good, especially if you appreciate language. The plot was pretty gripping and poignant. So, i was hoping for a similar experience with her sister. But i was disappointed. Agnes Grey was bland stuff. It was about a girl from a not so affluent background, who ventures into the world as a governess, and how she longs for love, affection and respect, which she finally gets from a priest. The book is good from the perspective of appreciating the English language, but as a novel, its boring.

No comments: